Here are some resources for designing safe schools compiled by the Committee on Architecture for Education (CAE), a practice area of the American Institute of Architects (AIA).
Aho Architects, LLC is a member of both the CAE and the AIA.
Now, more than ever, it is extremely important to integrate safety and security design thinking in educational environments.
- U.S. Department of Education presentation William Lassiter, Dir. Of Communication, NC Dept. of Juvenile Justice & Delinquency Prevention and Steven McElroy, Director of Security Safety & Security, Columbus Ohio Public Schools http://rems.ed.gov/docs/Training_CHIL07_SafetyPhysicalDesign.pdf
- Architecture, Design and School Crime Prevention, Ken Trump http://www.schoolsecurity.org/resources/school-design.html
- Florida Safe Schools Design Guidelines http://www.fldoe.org/edfacil/pdf/fl_ssg.pdf
- California Department of Education http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ss/vp/safeschlplanning.asp
- Singapore Guidelines http://www.ncpc.gov.sg/pdf/CPTED%20Guidebook.pdf
- FEMA Primer to Design Safe School Projects in Case of Terrorist Attacks and School Shootings http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/st/bips07_428_schools.pdf
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design http://cptedsecurity.com/cpted_design_guidelines.htm
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design, Robert A. Gardner http://www.crimewise.com/library/cpted.html
- Safety by Design, Don Hensely http://asumag.com/mag/university_safety_design
- Designing Safe Schools, Gary C. Prager, AIA http://asumag.com/mag/university_designing_safe_schools
- National Clearing House for Educational Facilities http://www.ncef.org/rl/safety_security.cfm